MUTCH SURNAME WEBSITE - Forum

A resource for communication amongst researchers of the Mutch surname roots in NE Scotland.......

You are not logged in.

Announcement

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS UNDER A SPAMMING ATTACK

If you are a real person who has registered and not received a confirmation email, please contact the Webmaster directly by email so that I can help you.

#1 30 Sep 2008 23:19

lyndawinnie

Mutches ritual in childbirth?

My Grandfather who's mother was Helen Jane Mutch 1893 of Kintore, Aberdeenshire, remembers a strange ritual when his sister Margaret was born in the 1920s.  All the family including children, aunts, uncles, grandparents had to surround the mother when giving birth.  It was quite disturbing for him as he was only 5 at the time, but he rembers it well. His mother died the following year so he could not ask her about it.  Does anyone have any idea what this is about, or have any other wierd rituals.

#2 12 Oct 2008 12:14

lyndawinnie

Re: Mutches ritual in childbirth?

Guess no one has heard of any other rituals.

#3 27 Sep 2011 16:38

Chris23851

I have also heard of this although anyone who could confirm has long since passed away, I do not have a great deal of information due to the story being diluted over the years but I understand it was common for the whole family to attend the birth of a child.  Seems a little strange by todays standards.  I don't think my partner would appreciate all my family coming with us in May, Don;t think I'll risk asking.

#4 19 Jun 2013 16:18

joshmitsima

It might have something to do with royal lineage, a holdback from when the Mutch were part of the Monfitchet clan, who was reported as being part of the family of William the Conqueror....this might be something to look further into.  I would imagine that there are still some royal blood out there with their unique royal tendencies....

Board footer