MUTCH SURNAME WEBSITE - Forum

A resource for communication amongst researchers of the Mutch surname roots in NE Scotland.......

You are not logged in.

Announcement

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS UNDER A SPAMMING ATTACK

If you are a real person who has registered and not received a confirmation email, please contact the Webmaster directly by email so that I can help you.

#1 18 Jun 2013 16:40

joshmitsima

Captain James Shepherd Mutch, born Boddam, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead

I am the great great grandson of the whaler/trader/explorer Captain James Shepherd Mutch, who worked for Crawford Noble around the early 1800's, with the Sabellum Trading Company, and the Pond's Bay Trading Company out of Peterhead Inlet.  I am wondering if there are any other descendents or family of Captain James Shepherd Mutch, who had a wife and daughter in Peterhead Inlet, but he also had another wife, and Inuit woman, who was my great great grandmother, when Captain Mutch was based on Kekerten Island in North Baffin Island, Canada.  Captain Mutch was largely responsible for training and helping a number of explorers, most notable is Franz Boaz, an anthropologist who helped to preserve the traditional and oral history of the Baffinland Inuit.  Captain Mutch passed away in South Africa in 1931, but not before he lived a long life of over 50 years whaling, and trading and helping to explore off Baffin Island and Western Greenland.  Captain Mutch was also known by many Inuit as just Jimmy Maatsi, which my last name comes from, the Inuit version of Mutch, is Mitsima.  I would hope that one day Captain Mutch should get the recognition he rightfully deserves for helping to record and perserve the Inuit culture of Baffin Island.  I live in Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay) on Baffin Island, in the Nunavut Territory in Canada.

My email address is: joshiemitsima@outlook.com

#2 19 Oct 2014 11:58

blootoonboy

Re: Captain James Shepherd Mutch, born Boddam, Aberdeenshire, Peterhead

Hello Josh,

My name is Kenny Bruce and I live in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, just a couple of miles from Boddam, where you grandfather was born.  My great great,grandfather was also called James Mutch, born in Boddam in 1881, they are not the same person but it is a bit of a coincidence. (they may be related in some way)

Peterhead has a strong whaling history and many of our men and ships visited the Arctic over many years and I know several of your people came to live in our town.  In our local museum we have many Inuit artefacts and photographs relating to those times.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you in your research.

Best regards,

Kenny Bruce

Last edited by blootoonboy (19 Oct 2014 11:59)

Board footer